Friday, October 14, 2005

lucky findings

I don't think I have collected anything since I was about 10 (rocks oddly enough). I do have neat little box filled with foreign coins, but I don't count that because if they fit in a coin operated washing machine I would no longer have them. I think I am on my way to a new collection: assorted media (books, records, cd's etc.). It must have started with a stolen book. In a vacant classroom last year I noticed a bookshelf with a nice looking, but worn, harcover copy of Great Expectations. I knew I had to take it when I saw it. If I didn't it may never be read again. It's the only thing I can ever remember stealing, and I don't feel guilty about it.

I found myself in a used bookstore looking for nothing specific and came across the complete collection of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories, in a pretty hardcover printed in the 60's. This is October (the best month for Poe I must say), so I had to have the book (don't give me that look, I paid for it). Later that day on one of my rare trips to Walmart (The store I hate), I came across Monty Python's The Life of Brian selling for $7.50. It was well worth it. I'm going record shopping in Springfield tomorrow. I hope my luck holds out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Media are probably the best thing to collect, especially used. It's good to own things with character and history.

1:50 PM  
Blogger GrumpyTeacher1 said...

Absolutely true. I love the moldy smell of old books, especially.

CDs don't really smell like much.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Lucindyl said...

Tim--I've really enjoyed these last two posts. Good pondering fodder. Solid stuff. Thanks.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home